Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cancer scare~

Ever since I was little I remember my mom telling me about cancer running in her family. Her mom died from stomach cancer and her 4 brothers and her sister also died from cancer. My mom was the youngest of 6 kids. She was diagnosed with breast cancer at 62. She took radiation treatments and removed the bad tissue. (no mastectomy) They said the cancer was gone. Then at 70, she was diagnosed with lung cancer. My mother had been a heavy smoker since she was in her 30's. She started smoking after having kids. The type of lung cancer she had was agressive and was a direct result of smoking. She died a year later.
Because of all of this family history of cancer I am always worried about my health. After all, I have 3 sons to raise. I noticed a mole on the upper right back. (shoulder) It didn't look right so I finally made myself go to the doctor. The doctor said he thought it was basal cell carcinoma. The tests confirm the localized cancer and now I have to go back in 6 weeks for a checkup. Meanwhile I had a mammogram and they said I need to come back and have the right breast looked at again. They think it is just microcalcifications, but they are going to do a diagnositc mammogram and sonogram to make sure. Stupid family history. LOL It is all good though. Hoping for great results and knowing the good Lord wants me to be here to raise my kids. Keeping the faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment