Friday, September 30, 2011

The biopsy~

So yesterday was quite an experience at the KU Cancer Center. We arrived at around 9:10 am. Checked in and waited a few minutes for my appointment. The breast surgeon examined me. Explained a few things about the biopsy and then I was taken across the hall for the procedure. Jason was told to wait in the waiting area and I had to put my personal things in a locker and wait for my name to be called. They came to get me and asked me some more questions. Put a hospital band on my arm and then I was taken to the room where they do the biopsies. There was a metal table that looked like it was suspended in air. LOL The nurse asked me to lay with my stomach down and then she intended to compress my right breast. I immediately freaked a bit because I am very claustrophobic. So.... I was then taken back to the nurses room and the Dr. prescribed some Ativan to calm me down so I could make it through the procedure. They waited about 20 minutes and I was taken back to the biopsy room. I was relaxed enough at that point that everything went fine! Even the Dr. said I did a good job! LOL They also inserted a chip to mark the spot of the biopsy. They did a followup mammagram to make sure the chip was in place... OUCH!!  Now just waiting for the results, but we probably won't know anything until Monday or Tuesday. I am thankful the procedure is done....and I am hoping for great results! I forgot to mention that all of the people I dealt with at KU were the nicest and most caring people. I really felt like I was in good hands!


No comments:

Post a Comment