Friday, November 4, 2011

MRI Biopsy rescheduled, consult with the plastic surgeon and testing for the BRCA genes

Well, Jason and I spent a good portion of our day at KU hospital/cancer center again yesterday. We met with the plastic surgeon, Dr. Punnuru. I really liked him. Made me feel very comfortable and did not rush us.. Let us ask lots of questions. Very nice man with 3 girls of his own. We decided on the expander reconstruction because it is a shorter surgery and much less time in the hospital. The draw back is that it is a long process....about a year of followups and a second surgery for the permanent implants.
Meanwhile, we received the results from the biopsy done on Tuesday. This biopsy was on the same breast (right breast) 4 cm away from the first spot they diagnosed with DCIS cancer, but much deaper, closer to the chest wall. Guess that is why it hurt so much! The new biopsy also showed DCIS cancer. This means it would be virtually impossible to do a lumpectomy because of the amount they would have to remove to make sure they get all the cancer. Also, a lumpectomy would require radiation and the mastectomy does not. The doctor also said that the recurrence rate with a lumpectomy is much higher.
The MRI guided biopsy on the left breast which was originally scheduled last Tuesday has been rescheduled for the 8th of November. Hoping it is the last biopsy I have to go through.
After we met with the plastic surgeon, we met with a genetics doctor who took a sample of my DNA via a throat swab and it is being sent to the only lab in the U.S.  that does this type of genetic testing, to see if I carry any of the BRCA genes. This is important to know because if I do have this gene...I would also be at a much higher risk for ovarian cancer and it would also put my sister and my brother's and sister's daughters at a greater risk of getting breast cancer some day. Hopefully the test will be negative.

HANGING IN THERE :)


November 2011

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted you to know that I have been reading your updates. You are in my prayers, and so is your family. This is certainly not easy for anyone involved. Lots of love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new pic of you. You are a brave lady! Keep your chin up...have been checking daily updates on the blog and know you well get through this.... Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you.....Don't really feel that brave, but sometimes it is the only choice you have.... :)

    ReplyDelete